Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: A Path to a Better Future
Updated: Feb 15
Posted on 14th February 2023
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are integral to any organization’s success. They include policies or practices designed to make people of various backgrounds, including people of different ages, races and ethnicities, abilities and disabilities, genders, religions, cultures and sexual orientations feel welcome and ensure they have support to perform to the best of their ability in the workplace. It’s only by recognizing the value of different perspectives, cultures, and ideas that businesses can create an environment where everyone feels safe, heard and respected.
The biggest human capital challenge that firms face right now, according to Deloitte's 2020 Human Capital Trends report, is belonging.
And according to a research by BetterUp, businesses profit significantly on the bottom line when staff members feel like they belong:
75% fewer employee sick days,
a 56% increase in job performance, and
a 50% reduction in turnover risk.
With a commitment to DEI, organizations can improve their decision-making process, foster innovation, and develop a better understanding of the communities in which they operate.
DEI does not end once you hire people from different backgrounds, though this is important. At its core, DEI is about recognizing and valuing the unique experiences, contributions, and perspectives that each person brings to an organization. The world of work has changed significantly and organizations with the ability to put DEI at the core will be among the thriving organizations. In order to create a workplace culture of DEI, organizations must be proactive about implementing policies, procedures, and practices that foster diversity and inclusion. This includes creating a workplace environment that encourages open dialogue, inclusivity, and respect for all individuals. It also means providing training and education opportunities to ensure that employees understand the importance of DEI and how it can contribute to company and professional success.
The Importance of Creating a Diverse and Inclusive Workplace
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is essential for any organization. This involves recognizing and celebrating the contributions of all races and backgrounds, not just African Americans.
In addition, creating a diverse and inclusive workplace involves having HR policies that do not discriminate against any employee or group. This means having policies that provide equal benefits to all employees and policies that are designed to promote diversity and inclusion.
By recognizing and celebrating Black History Month, employers can create a workplace environment that is welcoming and inclusive to all employees. Not only will this create a more positive work environment, but it can also foster a sense of belonging and community amongst employees. Ultimately, this can lead to improved performance and productivity, as well as increased engagement and job satisfaction.
What Role Does Fairness and Engagement Play in the DEI Mission?
In addition to creating a workplace culture of DEI, organizations must also ensure that their workplace practices are equitable and fair. This includes providing fair compensation and benefits, offering equal opportunities for career advancement, and protecting the rights of all employees regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, and disability.
Finally, organizations must be willing to actively engage in the communities in which they operate. By listening to and responding to the needs of the community, organizations can create meaningful partnerships and foster a sense of belonging. This can include creating programs and initiatives to address systemic racism and inequality, as well as providing resources and support to underrepresented and underserved communities.
With a commitment to DEI, organizations can create an environment in which everyone feels welcomed, respected, and empowered to contribute to the success of the organization. By investing in DEI, organizations can foster the innovation, creativity, and collaboration that are necessary for lasting success.
5 Key Practices For A Diverse and Inclusive Company
Diversity and inclusion are important not only from a legal standpoint, but also from a moral and ethical standpoint. As such, it is important for employers to be proactive in creating an environment where everyone is respected and valued. Here are five key practices that can help to create a workplace that is truly diverse and inclusive:
1. Have a plan: Start by having a plan and setting diversity and inclusion SMART goals. Clearly identify your mission, create policies, and action steps that need to be taken to achieve it.
2. Hold diversity training: Having diversity and inclusion training can help to sensitize employees to different perspectives, promote acceptance, and teach people how to create a more inclusive and respectful workplace.
3. Promote from within: When possible, it is important to promote from within. Promoting from within not only helps to create a diverse and inclusive workplace, it can also be a great way to retain talent and reward employees who have been with the company for a long time.
4. Create support systems: Create support systems for employees who are part of minority or marginalized populations. This could include mentorship programs, employee resource groups, or even flexible work policies and leave policies. This could help to create a sense of community and make employees feel like they have a safe space to go to if they ever have any issues or concerns.
5. Listen and provide feedback: It is important to listen to employees’ feedback and take it into account when making decisions. Additionally, providing constructive feedback to employees can help to create an environment where everyone feels respected and valued.
By following some of these key practices, employers can create a workplace that is truly diverse and inclusive. And as a result, it is productive and enjoyable for employees of all backgrounds.
Written by Daniel Arthur
Digital Marketing Consultant, KUSI Consulting
Happy Valentine to you and yours. Celebrate love and all the things that make the day special ❤️🎉
If you are looking for ideas and ways to instill a culture of diversity and inclusion get in touch with our consultants at KUSI Consulting.
Give us a call at (+233) 554 081 727 or send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org.